Monday, February 15, 2010

Pittance


RBS, rescued with £20 billion of UK tax payer’s money, throws £1 million Christmas party – a modest amount according to his CEO Stephen Hester.

I am glad that for Mr. Hester £1 million is pittance. However, this is enough to feed 3,000 African children for one year, provide half a million vaccination for malaria – the greatest killer of all diseases, or build schools in 50 villages.

But why go far? Many of ours schools here would be delighted to get only a few thousands dollars each to help with maintenance and acquire basic equipment so desperately needed.

So Mr Hester, as small as £1m might seem to you, it’s not your money that you’re spending this time. It is my money. And it’s me and a few thousands of my neighbours that pay your £1.2m a year salary (before bonuses).

If it were up to me, I would have saved few thousand children and not the bank. It wasn’t my choice. The money was taken from me by the sword of the taxman. So don’t tell me it’s a small amount. If it is, I want it back.

No comments: