Sunday, January 24, 2010

NIMBY



Not In My Back Yard attitude is universal, and although common here, Americans cannot claim any rights over it. Some recent NIMBY encounters reminded me of a taxi ride I took in Singapore the week after the Sep 11 attack. 

At the time, policemen were roaming the empty streets, and the air was thick with tangible mourning. We were all feeling that the end of the world was coming. All but my taxi driver, an Indian guy, who was laughing his is head off when the radio was estimating the death and casualty toll.

It was the first laugh I’d heard in days, so I could not help asking what he found so funny. He said: “until last week I didn’t know that Twin Towers even existed. Now I know that they exist but they don’t.”

Still I couldn’t understand how he was so heartless to find the funny side of such a monstrous disaster.

The driver, on the other hand, was perplexed by my reaction, and said, “Only a few months ago all the area around my village back home was flooded and millions lost their homes. We don’t even know how many dead, and how many will die of disease and starvation. Here, it’s only a few thousand people that died very fast. No pain. What’s the big deal?”

No comments: